A common question I have been receiving, especially from my female readers, is how to stay fit while abroad. It can be challenging to find a good balance between enjoying your vacation and depriving yourself. No one wants to be around the girl who refuses to try the local cuisine because it has “too many calories.” On the other side, you don’t want your weeks and weeks of working out to fit into that brand-new pink bikini to go to waste the second you arrive. So here are 8 easy ways to stay healthy and fit while traveling.
- Walk as much as possible: If you have the option to walk, instead of taking a bus or taxi, always choose to walk! Not only will this help you get some exercise in, it will also save you money that you can spend on more important things (like shoes 😉 ).
- Fill your days with activities: Before you arrive at your destination, look up cool hiking trails in the area or exclusive beaches that you have to climb to. Sign your group up for paddle boarding or snorkeling in the morning so you don’t feel as bad lounging on the beach with mai thais all afternoon.
- Control your portions: This was especially difficult when I was traveling through Italy. The pastas, pizzas, and pastries were all so delicious, I had to force myself not to lick the plate clean! An easy way to control this is to split dishes with your friends. Order a salad to start and then share a plate of pasta so you aren’t as tempted to finish the whole thing.
- Use online tutorials: If you’re not staying at a nice resort, the chances that the hotel or hostel has a gym are slim to none. In this case, I like to use quick videos online to workout. One of my favorite sites to use is Blogilates. They are short ~but effective~ tutorials for toning different areas and can easily be done in small spaces!
- Get plenty of rest: It’s hard to allow your body to rest while traveling. I’m guilty of packing my days full of activities and leaving very little time to sleep. While this is good for experiencing as much as possible, a proper night of sleep sets you up for a better day.
- Stay hydrated: Remembering to drink water is a challenge in itself. Always pack a bottle of water in your bag to avoid dehydration. *this is especially important if traveling to areas with a warm climate.
- Dance the night away: Who said exercise has to be boring? When I was working for The Yacht Week, my friends and I stayed in great shape because we would spend our nights dancing until the sun came up. You’ll be shocked at how good of a workout this can be and how sore you’ll feel in the morning!
- Surround yourself with people who motivate you: I saved this one for last because I find it the most useful. When you surround yourself with people who want to live a healthy lifestyle, it inspires you to do the same. Have a chat with your friends before leaving for your vacation, so that you can keep each other on a good path.
Overall, I find that it is really about keeping a healthy mindset. When you focus on being healthy and fit, you’ll start to notice different areas of your life follow the same suit. Waking up early will be easier, you’ll have more energy throughout the day, and you will begin to make healthy choices without having to think about it. Good luck and let me know any tips and tricks you have for maintaining an active and strong lifestyle throughout your travels!
Little Brantley Abroad